Monday 30 May 2011

I'm no Supernanny



Emilia was a nightmare yesterday, and absolute terror. The amount of tantrums and high pitched screaming reached new levels. And I'm sorry to say, we both lost it and shouted at her. Properly shouted. I felt terrible afterwards. It didn't make things better. I just don't understand discipline for children. Threatening an early bed time is useless as she can't tell the time yet, so time is irrelevant to her. We've taken toys away, she still carries on misbehaving. Time outs rarely seem to work as she works herself up in to a hysterical mess and trashes her bedroom. At times I'm at a complete loss for what to do. I know it's going to be hard work after what she went through with her mum, and it's scares me when I see her curl up in a defensive position if someone shouts at her. I'd never hit her, and I've told her that many times. I rarely shout at her, only when I'm really cross, and it usually has the desired effect, Yesterday was a different story, she was on a whole new level yesterday. I know everyone has their off days, but she really struggles with being told what to do and being told no. I've got a theory that maybe she's finally feeling settled and is pushing the boundaries to see how much she can get away with. It's stressful, and I know it's going to take a long time. I just wish there was some sort of instruction manual.

Or a mute button.

No comments:

Post a Comment