Saturday 21 May 2011

Family... is blood really that thick?


So, there has been a bit of tension in my family today. Well, in reality, there has been for a while, but it came bubbling up to the surface today. I'll be honest, we're not a close family. If something is going wrong, my sister isn't the first person I'd call, and I doubt I'd be hers. However, I do still care about her, as any big sister would. I can't help it. And it seems as sometimes it comes across as criticism. Things have now been said from both sides that have hurt one another. I worry because she puts silly things on facebook like about how drunk she is and how she's got to look after her baby daughter. If Ellie's(her daughter) dad did ever decide that he wanted custody or something like that, aforementioned things put on facebook would be so damaging for her. I only say this because I am living in the aftermath of that kind of situation. I don't mean it to be horrible. I don't mean to say that she can't look after Ellie, because she clearly can. But to be told that I don't know anything because I am a pretend parent, that hurt me. Fair enough Emilia isn't my daughter, but doesn't mean that I can't look after her like she is. Seeing as her own mother didn't look after her, surely she deserves love and stability. It's not pretend when she says she loves me and gives me a cuddle. I work hard to help Edd support her, and if it weren't for step-parents, there would be a lot of messed up children in this world. I would be one of them.

We've spoken about it now. My brother and sister said that I'm lame because I don't ask how they are. The thing is, I do. I have tried repeatedly to get in contact with them, but I never hear anything back. I ask my mum when I phone her every week how they both are. It's not a case of not trying, it's just a case of that so much has gone on in our family, it's hard for us to be close.

But, at the end of the day, there's the saying that "Blood is thicker than water", and I wouldn't change my family for anyone else. I can't really, I am stuck with them. And I guess today has shown us that we all need to try a little harder to stay in contact and helo each other out, because when the rest of the world walks out, my family will still be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment